Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Monday Headlines (on Tuesday)

THE PROOF IS IN THE PRODUCT

If you ever wanted solid evidence of why I'm not a "real" CFL fan - you had to look no further than the winning play in the Roughrider-Blue Bomber game on Sunday. In my mind, the quarterback should never be allowed to score, untouched, from 30 yards out on a draw play - with the game on the line no less. I think that's just bad football. It didn't even look like Winnipeg had any linebackers on the field. You better believe that the Bombers will be working on a simple defensive technique known as the "QB Spy" this week in practice. Obviously they hadn't heard of that strategy before.


WE DON'T WANT TO WIN BY 1, WE WANT TO WIN BY 5

In a move that can best be described as "baffling" - the Roughriders decided to try an onside field goal attempt with under 3 minutes left in the game, instead of trying a potentially game winning field goal. Now its all well and good that the Riders ended up winning the game and this play ended up not mattering - but wow, can you imagine if the Riders had lost? Doesn't really say much when you don't trust your kicker to hit a 35-yard (somewhere around there) field goal with the game on the line.


ARE YOU NOT EMBARRASSED BY THIS?

This was the headline in the sports section of today's Leader-Post, "Jolt of jubilation after Joseph's jaunt," - I kid you not. Now I was not a journalism major in university but I have to think that in a journalism class, a professor would tear you a new one for writing garbage like this. As a resident of Regina and a member of the human race I think that's embarrassing. Sorry Dan, I know I was taking one for the team by reading the Leader-Post so that nobody else would have to be exposed to it - but this is the last straw, I'm through with the LP for good.


THE RETURN

Some exciting news here at Sports As Life - the much anticipated return of untitled (Cooper's Corner) is finally upon us after the summer hiatus. So make sure you look for that later today.


THE SPORTS AS LIFE FALL SCHEDULE

In an attempt to give a little more structure to Sports As Life and to make writing it a little easier for myself, I'd like to come up with a fixed schedule for what's going to appear on what day. Here's what I have so far:

Monday - Headlines

Tuesday - NFL Wrap-Up

Wednesday - Fantasy Football Discussion (see Trebor's comment on the Armchair GM post - I'd like to start having a weekly fantasy football discussion and have it really interactive - unfortunately I don't know how interactive we can be here. People could write in with what they want to talk about or whatever and then I could answer I guess. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'd really like to get this off the ground starting tomorrow. This is why I need to get someone to start sponsoring the site, then maybe we could do things like a live fantasy chat or even do some podcasting, which I'd still really like to start doing but really have no idea how.)

Thursday - open day, anything goes

Friday - Weekly NFL Picks, The Links, Artist of the Week

So I think that's how things are going to shape up. I'm also trying to get a weekly or bi-weekly college football wrap-up going. But we'll see about that. And if anyone has any other ideas for things they'd like to see, or if they have any content they'd like to start contributing - feel free to let me know.

No comments: