Thursday, September 13, 2007

You Bet Your Life

“Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you”
- The Stranger,
The Big Lebowski

Well last week was not what I would call a successful week as far as my college football picks went. To review, I was 3 – 4 overall and against the spread. Now I know how Chris Shultz feels on a week to week basis. Hopefully I can get back on the wagon this week and make some quality picks….after all, I do like winning money.

#22 Tennessee (1 – 1) @ #5 Florida (2 – 0): The Vols go into The Swamp as 8 point underdogs against the reigning National Champs. The Vols and Gators have kept things close the past couple of meetings and I expect more of the same on Saturday. Sophomore QB Tim Tebow for the Gators will be out-matched by the experience of the Vols QB Erik Ainge. However, the crowd will be a huge factor in this game which will give the Gators the edge. Florida to win, but its close. Florida 13, Tennessee 10.

Notre Dame (0-2) @ Michigan (0-2): On one side you have an inexperienced Notre Dame team with 3 Freshman QB’s - so their 0 – 2 start against 2 quality teams is somewhat excusable. However, Michigan who started the year as a National Champion favorite have been absolutely embarrassed, at home none the less, in back to back weeks. Both Appalachian State and Oregon moved the ball against the Michigan defense with seemingly little to no resistance. However, with Notre Dame’s inexperience under center I do not see them moving the ball with such ease (They have yet to score an offensive TD). In what will be a pillow-fight war of attrition, I see Michigan taking an early lead and holding on for a close victory. Michigan 10, Notre Dame 7.

#16 Arkansas (1 – 0) @ Alabama (2 – 0): Another SEC rivalry game, this one too will be a low scoring, defensive battle. I really like the advantage Arkansas’s Heisman candidate back Darren McFadden brings to this game. However, the noise of 90,000 strong Bama fans in Bryant-Denny will confuse and stall the young Razorback offence. Bama is favored by -3.5 and I do not see them covering the spread. Bama wins on a late field goal. Roll Tide Roll! Alabama 17 – Arkansas 16.

#1 USC (1 – 0) @ #14 Nebraska (1 – 0): Fan loyalty aside, I do not see the Huskers winning this game, let alone beating the spread of – 10.5. USC is and offensive and defensive juggernaut. John David Booty of USC will matriculate the USC offense up and down the field all night. “24 Toss Power Trap” all night long. Take USC and the points, even in Lincoln - as sad as I am to say it. USC 38 Nebraska 24.

“Lock of the Week”

#10 Ohio St (2 – 0) @ Washington (2 – 0): Last week I had TCU upsetting Texas for my lock of the week. Not a good decision in retrospect. This week I hope to rebound and give “Lock of the Week” some street cred. Ohio St comes into this game with 2 sluggish home wins against Youngstown St and the Zips of Akron. Washington on the other hand had an easy win against Syracuse and a hard fought win last weekend against Boise St, who up until then had the nations longest winning streak. Ohio St is favoured to win this game by 5, however I honestly believe that Washington will come out and crush the Buckeyes. Washington 27 – Ohio St 13.

And now the lesser games this week that I find no need to analyze.

Vanderbilt 35 Ole Miss 21
#9 Louisville 52 Kentucky 49
#15 Georgia Tech 31 #21 Boston College 28
BYU 27 Tulsa 17
Florida St 28 Colorado 3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining picks. I just don't see how anyone has time to keep up with college football though. Isn't the sports schedule crowded enough. Baseball playoffs coming up, NFL, CFL, a little dabbling in the NBA, and of course hockey season around the corner. Sundays are already a write-off, saturdays require leaving the house. I need to keep my player name and stats knowledge to professional sports i guess.

Chris H