Monday, September 24, 2007

Monday Headlines

Things I learned over the weekend...

I CAN SEE THE FUTURE

Spake the soothsayer on June 4th, 2007 - "...right now the honeymoon is still on and everyone is in the throws of passion. But will reality set in once that first, inevitable 3-game losing streak hits? Will everyone remember that they used to loathe Austin when things aren't going well? That's some tough history for him to overcome."

Luckily for Kent right now most of the hate is being piled on the players, especially those in the defensive secondary - I'm looking at you Tristan Clovis. That might change though.


THE PREVENT DEFENCE ONLY PREVENTS YOU FROM WINNING

See: Clovis, Tristan. I don't want to pile on Clovis (see today's Leader-Post for award winning examples of that), but how a wide receiver gets behind a safety in the prevent defence I'll never know. There are no excuses and saying things like, "We just didn't make plays when we needed to," is not going far enough. Even though Clovis owned up to blowing the game winning play there seems to be a real lack of accountability on the team right now.


I'M CLEARLY TOO ATTACHED TO WRITING THIS SITE

In the category of, "Nearly Ruining the Happiest Day of Someone's Life" - I was receiving Roughrider score updates via text message during the dinner of the wedding I was at on Saturday night. Don't look at me like that - the ringer was off.


RIHANNA GETS IT DONE

That 'Umbrella' track is hot - or should I say 'Um-Ber-rel-la'. Although as someone who has seen Rihanna up close and sans airbrushing I can say she is not as hot as that track is. I would say like a 6 - 6.5 at best.


WEDDING DJ'S KNOW HOW TO KILL A PARTY

Clearly the gentleman who was DJ'ing the wedding I was at on Saturday worked for the firm of "55 Ways to Clear a Dance Floor."


IT MUST BE NICE TO WORK FOR THE FOX CORPORATION

Owning the rights to Star Wars sure makes it easier to do a parody of it - just like Family Guy did last night. Now normally I'm not a huge Family Guy fan but I am a huge Star Wars fan and I have to say that Family Guy episode was possibly the most well-crafted piece of television I have ever seen. The faithful recreation of the shots and the dialogue was great - and of course the stuff they added was fantastic. And for anyone who has moved a couch recently - and I have - the couch-moving scene is a must see...and here you go. Also, the Thai-fighters...hilarious.


In light of recent events, watch for a possible Roughrider-related post later today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I’m not so much losing faith in the Rough Riders but in the quality of the play in the CFL. How do you possibly loose a game on 3rd down with basically no time left when only a touch down beats you? It was possibly one of the most frustrating things I have ever watched in my life. Whether it was the defensive coaches, Kent Austin or Tristan Clovis doesn’t really matter. If you are a not totally inept at what you do you would have beaten the Lions the other night. I’m a Rider fan always will be but my faith in the quality of what I’m watching has been shaken to a new low.

Walks

Big T. said...

First off Alex Smith needs to be fired...His special teams coaching is absolutely horrible. Here are some examples

1) We have ran pretty much the exact same kickoff/punt return coverage since he came into the league. Anybody who watches ONE practice or watches ONE punt return will see the exact same thing over and over.

2)That blocked punt. When they were doing punting drills this past week did they forget that BC has one of the most prolific punt blockers in the league?!?! It's not like he sprung free from the side and caught someone by surprise, he ran right up the middle and Mike McCullough misses the block. Brutal preparation and brutal execution.

Also some players need to sit out this week, unfortunately due to their nationality they will likely dress for the game: Tristan Clovis and Mike McCullough. Also Sean Lucas is borderline for the missed INT that should have been run back for a TD but unless TJ Stancil is good to go he plays.

The Riders can kiss 1st place goodbye and if they are to make it to the GreyCup they're going to have to learn how to win at B.C. Place in the playoffs.