Sunday, September 7, 2008

32 Teams in 30-Some Days - San Diego Chargers

This is it - the last of the 32 previews and by my count it's been 42 days, and I'm pretty happy to only be 3 days past the 30-some day mark - although it took a lot of work today to get everything finished up. And thanks again to DH and TH for their help with the Jets' and Raiders' previews.

The San Diego Chargers




Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
Ron Burgundy: No. No.
Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.
Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.



I'm trying very hard to put aside the fact the Chargers lost today so I can write this preview with no bias. However, the fact that they looked a little soft today this is making it hard.

On paper the Chargers should be a prohibitive favorite to win the AFC this year. They have the talent - and they have LDT.

Something just seems to be missing from this team though - it's almost like they're missing an edge. And I think that starts with the coach - I still think the Norv Turner experience is going to end poorly in San Diego. Even though they were a couple torn knee ligaments away from making the Super Bowl last year.

The good thing for the Chargers is that they play in a division with Denver, Kansas City and Oakland - so that's 4-6 wins right there.

The Verdict
In all likely hood the Chargers win the AFC West - there probably won't be much of a challenge to them. I just don't think this is team that's built to win a Super Bowl, they just seem so soft to me - especially with Shawne Merriman's knee injury.

No comments: