Saturday, September 6, 2008

32 Teams in 30-Some Days - Houston Texans

We're into the final stretch of the 32 Teams Project and you know what that means:



I think I'll throw up some picks for this weekend but there will be no I Predict a Riot - as you've probably guessed. The Sports As Life staff is working around the clock to ensure that 32 Teams is done before the season starts, so everything else has taken a backseat. And on we go...

The Houston Texans




"Worlds are turning
And we're just hanging on
Facing our fear
And standing out there alone
A yearning and it's real to me
There must be someone
Who's feeling for me
Things look so bad everywhere
In this whole world, what is fair
We will walk the line
And try to see
Falling behind in what could be"

- Higher Love
- Whitney Houston


I apologize and promise that this is the last time Whitney Houston will ever appear on this site - but before she went crazy, that lady could sing.

A lot of people like the Texans to be a surprise team this year. They've got a very solid defence, especially the front 7. Andre Johnson is one of the best, I'd say, 5 receivers in the league. And Matt Schaub is probably an above-average quarterback.

I gotta say though, I'm not buying it. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson are both HUGE injury risks. And if Johnson goes down again, like he did last year by the way, the Texans don't have any depth at receiver and they're in trouble. I'm not sold on Jacoby Jones as a "go to" guy.

And then there's the running game. Chris Brown, who was brought in to give the running game some life, is out for the season. That leaves the corpse of Ahman Green and his brittle hamstrings and rookie Steven Slaton, who it seems might be the main guy before too long.

The Verdict
I think Houston has the potential to be a good team - but they won't be a playoff team. They'll probably be around .500 or a little better, but their division is just too tough for a team like Houston - that's "not quiet there yet" - to get out.

No comments: