Thursday, January 29, 2009

So You're Scared and You're Thinking That Maybe we Ain't That Young Anymore

Show a little faith.



As much as I'm looking forward to watching football on Sunday, the game doesn't really interest me all that much. It'll be an easy choice this year between going to the bathroom during the game or the commercials - it'll be during the game. Last year I don't even remember moving during the second half the game - I was too worried that if I moved even a muscle I would jinx the Giants' momentum and somehow kill their chances. I'm serious. The last time Pittsburgh was in the Super Bowl, I decided to get up during the game and missed the Randel-El bomb to Hines Ward. The only exciting part of the game, and I chose to go to the bathroom at that exact moment. Figures.

Now that we're all up to speed on my bathroom schedule, past and future.

This year I'm really looking forward to two things:

1) Bruce Springsteen
2) TH's legendary Super Bowl party

I'm all kinds for fired up for the Boss to play at halftime. Somehow along the way, at least with my generation, Springsteen has been vastly underrated or even forgotten. I'm not quite sure why or how this happened but it's really too bad, his body of work is pretty incredible. Born in the USA is one of the best albums of all time and the opening harmonica/piano in Thunder Road is one of my favorite things in the world. I've enjoyed Prince and Tom Petty the last two years, but I'm hoping this year is going to be something really special. If I had to guess, the set list would be (in no particular order): Working on a Dream, Glory Days, The Rising, Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark (maybe). I would love to hear Thunder Road, but I'm not optimistic. I would be shocked if he plays Born in the USA.

While the Boss will only be on for 15 minutes, the other 9 hours that the Super Bowl takes to play will be spent at TH's Super Bowl Spectacular. For those who have never had the privilege of attending, it's a non-stop feast from start to finish. And it's not just mindless gorging and chips and salsa - TH does it right. We usually get two main courses, one specialty from each of the two participating cities - in addition to gourmet dips and I've heard rumours of a ridiculously-good sounding dessert this year. It's not a day for counting calories. I plan on eating so many chemically-softened cookies my heart explodes.


Enjoy the game everyone - it's the last football game you'll see for a long time. It'll be gone in the wink of young girl's eye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about the boss's new award winning song from the wrestler.... The Movie is fresh on my mind after coming back from lunch at the maid.....realizing these joints suck up here.

Also speaking of the gentlemens club, it's not that I don't care about the game or anything but the only news that I've read about(I assume there are more stories), is the fact that there's a gentelmens club beisde every mcdonalds...or something like that.
"I'll have a cheesburger'
"alright that's 1.39, from 50...48.61 is your change"
"Can I get that in singles?"

also please dont let pittsburg win, please pleas.

Anonymous said...

It's a sad day indeed to be an "Arm's length" Cardinals fan. So close.

Next year, tackling practice for the Cards offense so there will be no rumblin, stumblin and bumblin.

B

Anonymous said...

And a toast to the host of yet another fantastic superbowl party. Luckily the game was good this year too. Had my tastebuds not been dulled by a wicked cold I think my head would have imploded with the variety of tastes.

All shall mourn for those who missed out on TH's sticky buns.

CH