Sunday, August 31, 2008

32 Teams in 30-Some Days - Seattle Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks



"Cause baby, I'm an anarchist,
You're a spineless liberal.
We marched together for the eight-hour day
And held hands in the streets of Seattle,
But when it came time to throw bricks
Through that Starbucks window,
You left me all alone."

- Baby I'm An Anarchist
, Against Me!


I hate the Seahawks... there I said it. No team in the league is as constantly overrated as Seattle. They are they best team in the worst division in the NFL and every year people talk about them like they're some sort of juggernaut. As you can probably tell I'm not buying into it, yet again.

Yes they will make the playoffs - mostly by default - by way of winning the NFC West. The other three teams in that division did get better, but probably not enough to overtake the Seahawks.

There are some serious questions about Seattle though. Their defence is probably in the top 10 in the NFL and likely to stay that way. The offence is where the problems will be - especially at wide receiver, mostly because they don't have any healthy ones.

Deion Branch, Bobby Engram, and Ben Obomanu are all out for various lengths of time with various injuries. That leaves Nate Burelson as the de facto 'go-to' guy, which is about 7 different types of terrifying.

And not to be Pessimist Pete but I think Seattle should also be extraordinarily worried about their running back situation. I have to think that Sun-Tzu would have something to say about going to war with Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett in your backfield. I watched Duckett play in a preseason game this week and he runs like a 300-pound emperor penguin - he was even cramming mackerel down his gullet on the sidelines.

The Verdict
They win the NFC West, again - by winning most of their games at home and losing most of their games on the road. And I will be rooting against them in all of those games - unless of course I end up with Matt Hasselbeck on my Fantasy Football team again. Which, if history has taught us anything, is pretty much guaranteed to happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I get that Cobain pic on a t-shirt?

Luke said...

I could probably make one up for you but Courtney Love would have me in a lawsuit before you could say "degenerate whore."

Anonymous said...

I see you didn't get hasselbeck in the draft - interested in him??????

CH

Luke said...

I'll probably need him by week 6, I'm sure the rest of my team will have contracted scoliosis by then.