Thursday, August 28, 2008

32 Teams in 30-Some Days - San Francisco 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers




"You tell me I am home, back in San Francisco
And I know what you did in San Francisco
I know what you did in San Francisco"

- San Francisco
, Vanessa Carlton


Wow, that is not even close to a good song. Apologies.

So did you hear that Mike Martz is going to be the 49ers offensive co-ordinator this year? You know how Radiohead made like 3 great albums and then all of a sudden everything they did was genius, when in reality everything since Ok Computer has not been good, but nobody would say it because they were musical geniuses? It's like that with Mike Martz.

He hasn't really been any good in about 6 years but everybody still thinks he's some sort of offensive wizard.

And yeah Radiohead fans, I said it - that band jumped the shark at Ok Computer. Don't give me any crap about me not "getting" the music they make now. I get it alright, it just ain't any good.

Just like the 49ers.

If Frank Gore isn't the most overrated player in the league, he's got to be close. Right?

And you'll forgive if I'm not confident in J.T O'Sullivan's ability to lead the 49ers back to relevance.

The defence should still be solid. Patrick Willis will still be a destroyer of men. But I just don't think their offence is going to be a whole lot better than it was last year. Yeah Martz had some success throwing the ball in Detroit - but J.T O'Sullivan is not Jon Kitna (and that's just about the saddest thing I've ever typed) and Arnez Battle/Isaac Bruce are not Roy Williams/Calvin Johnson.

The Verdict
The Rams probably leap-frog them this year in the NFC West putting the 49ers in the basement. It makes me a little sad to see the team I loved as a child turned to rubble. And it's too bad that Mike Nolan - the best dressed coach in the league - will be out of a job after the season.

No comments: