Friday, April 20, 2007

The Stern-Bettman Competitive Advantage, Example 2

(See post below for explanation)

Ok, quick...locate the puck. It's the round, black thing that's crossing goal line in the bottom left corner of the picture.

Found it? Good. Now as a rational human being, possessing, we're assuming some common sense, and having a cursory knowledge of motion and kinetic energy, do you think there is any way this puck DID NOT cross the goal line?

Well this may come as a shock but the NHL disagrees whole-heartedly with you.

Late in Game 6 of the 2003-04 Stanley Cup Finals with the game tied, Martin Gerlinas "scored" this goal to put the Calgary Flames ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning. (You will never, ever convince me that this was not a goal. Never.) However, with the NHL ruling this no goal (I'm not even sure if this was reviewed or not, I think I passed out - or I've blocked it out from my memory - someone will have to fill us in on that) Tampa won the game in overtime and then won Game 7, giving them the Stanley Cup.

As a Calgary fan it's very hard for me to talk about this without flying off the handle, so I'm going to keep this short.

Calgary won the Stanley Cup that night.

That puck was in.

No comments: