Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Sports Desk Re-Opens

...and there was much rejoicing.

Yes I'm back, but unfortunately I'm still trying to catch up on what was happening in the world of sports while I was away, so there's not going to be much of a column today - just some quick, random thoughts...

...apparently they're still playing hockey, only nobody is paying attention anymore. Everyone I've talked to since I've been back has said that they have basically stopped watching hockey. I know I was in a foreign country for a week with no hockey broadcasts (and no, it wasn't the U.S) and there wasn't a single moment where I missed hockey. I think that says something, but more on that this week.

...Barry Bonds is still 10 home runs shy of Hank Aaron's record, so I'm thankful to him for holding off until I got back.

...the Blue Jays are still no good. And they're best, and only reasonably consistent pitcher had an appendectomy two weeks ago, and will probably miss at least another week. Things look very, very bleak.

...Saskatchewan Roughrider training camp opens in two weeks and you know what that means - 5 months of misery and failed expectations. More on this later in the week too.

...the NBA Draft Lottery is tonight and I'll be glued to my TV. It's not bad enough that I watch professional sports drafts but now I'm watching the lottery that will determine the draft order. Although this year's NBA draft will be different because it has two of the highest profile college players in recent history and maybe ever - Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. So expect to read something about all this tomorrow here.

...and after a 2 week hiatus Cooper will return this week as well. So stay tuned, we're back in business here at Sports as Life.

No comments: